TARPON SPRINGS CITY HALL
Tarpon Springs, FL
This circa 1926 two-story red brick schoolhouse is a National Trust for Historic Preservation Landmark located in the Local Historic District of Tarpon Springs. After remaining vacant for several years, the City Hall municipal services were relocated to this building in 1986. Funded by Historic Preservation Assistance (provided by the Bureau of Historic Preservation), the Florida Department of State, the Historic Preservation Council, and by the City of Tarpon Springs, restorations to the structure were initiated 1986. The process was completed in four distinct phases, spanning a period of seventeen years.
Restorations, which were completed while the building remained operable, included: interior space programming, restoration to interior transom windows, chiller system replacement/new HVAC, removal of suspended ceiling tiles, installation of new, historically-inspired lighting fixtures, recreation of the original wooden lockers with a similar appearance and display spaces, re-roofing, brick re-pointing, restoration of exterior wood windows, and ADA updates including elevator installation, renovation/reconfiguration of restroom facilities, and implementation of handicapped accessibility features in the auditorium facilities.